Bring Freedom in Mobility in the market
ahead of time with Project IONIQ
Open Call to Startups
Project IONIQ is challenging startups to find effective solutions for mobility services and software within an automotive use-case to get the future mobility to show up in the market ahead of its regularly scheduled arrival.
We are looking for startups that…
■ Have innovative ideas for Mobility Services and software that accelerate the arrival of Future Mobility to the market
■ Are interested in opportunities to validate and demonstrate their solutions with IONIQ car
■ Can enter the market quickly
■ Aim to be recognized in the automotive industry
■ Share our vision of Freedom in Mobility
Your Motivation To Participate
Finally chosen idea will get an opportunity to work on a pilot project with Hyundai.
Hyundai is one of the biggest manufacturers in the world. By collaborating with us you also may become a true global player.
Hyundai experts will walk alongside and partner with you to further develop and support your idea.
The winner’s idea will be validated and demonstrated in IONIQ car.
Proposed idea must be aligned with at least one of the “Freedom in Mobility” categories
Free to move: whenever needed, anyone can easily move:
■ On-demand mobility services
■ Uncompromising ownership: overcome the ownership issues
Free from inconvenience while moving & from chances of accidents:
■ Minimize Traffic Jams
■ Smart Navigation and Parking
■ Mobility without accidents.
Free to continue daily life seamlessly in a car:
■ Services complementing your Lifestyle
■ In-car connected services.
Free from concerns about environmental pollutions:
■ Bringing conveniences to EV owners
■ Solutions enhancing environment-friendly lifestyle
■ Efficient Driving and Ownership: diagnostics, analyses and forecasts.
FORMAT & CONTENTS
Your document should be a maximum of five pages and contain brief description (overview and explanation) of your idea. All information has to be submitted in English. We recommend you to make sure you cover following questions:
[Description of the idea]
■ [Novelty] How original, groundbreaking, creative is it?
■ [Alignment] How does it help our vision of “Freedom in Mobility” to arrive to the market?
■ [Impact] Customer value & market opportunity,
■ [Applicability] What type of vehicle can it be applied to? Are there any specific requirements?
■ [Ready to go?] Capability to enter the market quickly,
RIGHTS & OBLIGATIONS
■ The intent of the Open Call is to encourage startups to discuss ideas and innovations with Hyundai. But participating in this Open Call does not create an obligation on either your part or Hyundai’s part to enter into any business relationship or to sign any commercial agreement.
■ By entering the Open Call, you agree that the relationship between you and Hyundai are not a confidential, fiduciary, or other special relationship.
■ Submitted information shall not be confidential, proprietary, or trade secret information.
■ If there are any expenses have taken place regarding the submitted idea, it is under your own cost
■ Hyundai reserves the right in its sole discretion, to terminate, modify or suspend the Open Call.
■ All decisions of the Judging Panels are final, non-appealable and binding.
■ By participating in Project IONIQ Open Call you and all the team-members agree that Hyundai has the right to use information, including personal, that you submit via the Entry.
■ Before submitting your ideas please read terms and agreements carefully. By submitting information, you agree with all written terms and agreements.
IDEAS SHALL BE
■ Related to the automotive use-case,
■ Target Future Mobility topic,
■ About Mobility Services and software
■ Authentic, and
■ Belong to your team.
Terms and Agreements
Before submitting your proposal, please read all Terms and Agreements carefully.
IF YOU DO NOT AGREE WITH ANY OF THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS BELOW, DO NOT SUBMIT AN ENTRY FOR THIS OPEN CALL.
1. TERM: The Project IONIQ Open Call (“Open Call”) is an initiative encouraging startups to find effective solutions for future mobility services and software applied to a use-case in automotive. Open Call begins from 05 August 2016 and ends upon the completion of Pilot Project as stipulated in Article 11 (Description of the Open Call Processes). Hyundai reserves the right in its sole discretion, to terminate, modify or suspend Open Call and these Terms and Conditions, for any reason, at any time and without any liability.
2. ELIGIBILITY: Open Call is organized by Hyundai Motor Company, Inc. (“Hyundai” or “Project IONIQ”) and is open and offered only to legal business entities (“Participant” or “Team”).
Open Call is not open to residents of Cuba, Iran, Syria, North Korea, Myanmar (formerly Burma) and Sudan. Open Call is void in any country where such a project is prohibited or restricted by relevant local laws.
Project IONIQ reserves the right to limit or restrict without notice any person who fails to comply with these Terms and Conditions from participating in Open Call.
3. AGREEMENT TO OFFICIAL RULES: By participating in Open Call and submitting your ideas, you agree to be bound by the following Terms and Conditions. Each member of the Team that contributes in any way to participation in Open Call must agree with these Terms and Conditions. If you don’t agree with them, you should not proceed any further on Open Call. Hyundai reserves the right to disqualify any Team (and all Team members) if any one Team member has not read and agreed with these Terms and Conditions.
4. REWARDS: This Open Call is not a competition: if there are no valuable and interesting ideas for Project IONIQ, Hyundai reserves right to suspend, or modify this Open Call. All decisions are made by the Judging Panel. All decisions of the Judging Panels are final, non-appealable and binding. The purpose of Open Call is to find effective innovative solutions for mobility services and software and to realize the selected idea through the Pilot Project with Hyundai as stipulated in Article 10 below. The selected idea will receive a monetary or non-monetary support required to develop and validate the idea (“Reward”). The Reward shall not be considered as an equity investment.
5. HOW TO ENTER: To enter Open Call, visit http://brand.hyundai.com/ (“Website”) during the Submission Period, as stipulated in Article 10 below, accurately and truthfully complete the idea description, read and accept these Terms and Conditions and follow the instructions for submitting an Entry as described on the Website.
As used herein, “Entry” or “Submission” means all submissions, original ideas, documents or other materials submitted to Hyundai in connection with Open Call. The party submitting an Entry is referred to as a “Participant.” Each Entry must be the original creation of the Participant. An Entry may not be cancelled, removed or revoked by the Participant. Hyundai is in no way obligated to use or continue to use any Entry.
An Entry must be an original idea with automotive use-case, for one of the following categories: (1) Mobility Services (2) Software, as described further on the Website (“Open Call Categories”).
All Entry must be submitted in English.
6. SUBMISSION RIGHTS:
A. Participant’s Rights: Any and all intellectual property rights to a Submission will remain with the Participant.
B. Hyundai’s Rights: By entering Open Call, you agree to grant to Hyundai, its administrator (“Administrator”), and any other third parties acting on Hyundai’s behalf (“Partner”), a royalty-free, non-exclusive, worldwide perpetual license to display publicly and use for promotional purposes the Submission, in perpetuity. This license includes, but is not limited to, posting or linking to the Submission on Hyundai’s, the Administrator’s, and the Partners’ websites and applications, including the Website, and display and promotion of the Submission in any other media, worldwide.
C. Submission Display: The following Submission components may be displayed to the public: name, description, images, video URL, website URL, team members, the Submission category and platform, and submitter type. Other Submission materials may be viewed by Hyundai, the Administrator, and the Judging Panel for screening and evaluation.
D. The Participant represents and warrants that Hyundai, the Administrator, and the Partners are free to use the Participant’ Submission in the manner described above, as provided or as modified by the Administrator, without obtaining permission or license from any third party and without any compensation to the Participant.
7. PARTICIPATION: An Entry must designate one Team member as the “Contact Person” for contact and Open Call administrative purposes. The Contact Person will be responsible for submitting the Entry on behalf of the Team. By submitting any Entry, you represent and warrant to Hyundai that your Contact Person (a) is an authorized representative, and is submitting the Entry on behalf of the Team, and (b) has obtained all necessary approvals to enter Open Call and to submit any intellectual property to Hyundai pursuant to these Terms and Conditions. If you have any questions about such authority and permissions, you should verify it before submitting any Entry.
The Participants are responsible for any costs or expenses associated with preparing and submitting an Entry.
Each Participant agrees that Hyundai will have the right, but not the obligation, in its sole discretion to contact any Participant regarding a possible transaction or other business relationship with Hyundai to commercially pursue the submitted Entry.
8. ENTRY CONDITIONS AND RELEASE:
A. By entering Open Call, you (and each participating team member) agree(s) to the following:
(i) The relationship among you, Hyundai and the Administrator is not a confidential, fiduciary, or other special relationship; (ii) you will be bound by and comply with these Terms and Conditions and the decisions of the Hyundai, the Administrator, and/or the Judging Panel which are binding and final in all matters relating to Open Call; and (iii) you release, indemnify, defend and hold harmless Hyundai, the Administrator, promotion entities, and their respective parent, subsidiary, and affiliated companies, and any other organizations responsible for posting, fulfilling, administering, advertising or promoting Open Call, and all of their respective past and present officers, directors, employees, agents and representatives (hereafter the “Released Parties”) from and against any and all claims, expenses, and liabilities (including reasonable attorneys’ fees), including but not limited to negligence and damages of any kind to persons and property, defamation, slander, libel, violation of right of publicity, infringement of trademark, copyright or other intellectual property rights, property damage, or death or personal injury arising out of or relating to the Participant’s entry, creation or entry of a Submission, participation in Open Call, and/or the broadcast, transmission, performance, exploitation or use of the Submission as authorized or licensed by these Terms and Conditions.
B. Without limiting the foregoing, the Released Parties shall have no liability in connection with:
(i) any incorrect or inaccurate information, whether caused by Hyundai’s or the Administrator’s electronic or printing error, or by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in Open Call; (ii) technical failures of any kind, including, but not limited to malfunctions, interruptions, or disconnections in phone lines, internet connectivity or electronic transmission errors, or network hardware or software or failure of the Website; (iii) unauthorized human intervention in any part of the entry process or Open Call; (iv) technical or human error which may occur in the administration of Open Call or the processing of Submissions; or (v) any injury or damage to persons or property which may be caused, directly or indirectly, in whole or in part, from the Participant’s participation in Open Call.
C. Hyundai reserves the right, in their sole discretion, to cancel, suspend and/or modify Open Call, or any part of it, in the event of a technical failure, fraud, or any other factor or event that was not anticipated or is not within its control.
D. Hyundai reserves the right in their sole discretion to disqualify any Participant it finds to be actually or presenting the appearance of tampering with the entry process or the operation of Open Call or to be acting in violation of these Terms and Conditions or in a manner that is inappropriate, unsportsmanlike, not in the best interests of this Open Call, or a violation of any applicable law or regulation.
E. Excluding Submissions, all intellectual property related to this Open Call, including but not limited to copyrighted material, trademarks, trade-names, logos, designs, promotional materials, web pages, source codes, drawings, illustrations, slogans and representations are owned or used under license by Hyundai. All rights are reserved. Unauthorized copying or use of any copyrighted material or intellectual property without the express written consent of its owners is strictly prohibited. Any use in a Submission of Hyundai intellectual property shall be solely to the extent provided for in these Terms and Conditions.
F. The Released Parties are not responsible for incomplete, late, misdirected, damaged, lost, illegible, or incomprehensible Submissions or for address or email address changes of the Participant. Proof of sending or submitting will not be deemed to be proof of receipt by Hyundai or the Administrator.
G. If for any reason any Participant’s Submission is determined to have not been received or been deleted, lost, or otherwise destroyed or corrupted, the Participant’s sole remedy is to request the opportunity to resubmit its Submission. Such request must be made promptly after the Participant knows or should have known there was a problem, and will be determined at the sole discretion of Hyundai.
9. PUBLICITY: By participating in Open Call you consent to the use of personal information about you and your Team by Hyundai and the Partners. Such personal information includes, but is not limited to, your name, likeness, photograph, voice, opinions, comments and hometown and country of residence. It may be used in any existing or newly created media, worldwide without further payment or consideration or right of review, unless prohibited by law. Authorized use includes advertising and promotional purposes. The duration of your consent is for a period of three (3) years following the conclusion of Open Call. This consent applies, as applicable, to all members of Participant’s team or organization that participated in Open Call.
10. DEscriptION OF THE OPEN CALL PROCESSESStep 1: Submission
The submission period begins on August 5, 2016 at 12:00 PDT (Pacific Daylight Time), and ends on September 5, 2016 at 23:59 PDT (Pacific Daylight Time). All Submissions must be received by Hyundai on or before September 5, 2016.
Step 2: Initial Filtering
Each Submission may be reviewed by Hyundai and/or one or more judges selected by Hyundai and its agents and affiliates (collectively, the “Judging Panel”), to determine if the Submission meets the eligibility criteria for Open Call as described in these Terms and Conditions.
In Hyundai’s discretion, Hyundai may engage third-party subject matter experts and judges to serve on the Judging Panel and/or assist with the review of the Participant and selection of the Open Call finalists. All Submissions determined by Hyundai and/or the Judging Panel as meeting the eligibility criteria (based on a preliminary review) will be eligible to be considered for advancement to the next step.
In the event that Hyundai (with input from the Judging Panel, as appropriate) determines that any Submission does not or may not meet the eligibility criteria for Open Call (e.g., if the Submission is not in one of the Open Call Categories), Hyundai may (a) disqualify the Entry, or (b) request that the Participant submit a revised, clarified description of the Entry, for further consideration by Hyundai.
As part of Submissions, the Participant is recommended to submit the following details:
(1) Description of the idea;
(2) Novelty: how original, groundbreaking, creative the idea is;
(3) Alignment: How does it help our vision of “Freedom in Mobility” to arrive to the market;
(4) Impact: Customer value & market opportunity;
(5) Business Case;
(6) Applicability: What type of vehicle can it be applied to? Are there any specific requirements;
(7) Ready to go: Capability to enter the market quickly; and
(8) Team introduction.
The Participant agrees that the information and materials provided to Hyundai in connection with Open Call, may be publicly disclosed by Hyundai or its agents, and used for Hyundai’s marketing and public relations activities, in Hyundai’s sole discretion.
The Judging Panel reserves the right not to select any entry for the next round, if proposed ideas do not meet the judging criteria described in the “Judging Criteria” section below.
Step 3: Selection of Ideas
From all the Participant, the Judging Panel will select several Participant to proceed Step 3 “Selection of Ideas”. Only those, who were chosen and invited via email to Step 3 will be evaluated during Step 3.
Project IONIQ will request in a written form including email the Participants chosen at Step 2 to submit more detailed proposal of the Entry or the Participants ideas. If the chosen Participant does not timely consent to proceeding to Step 3 and promptly provide any necessary information or documents to confirm eligibility, an alternate Entry may be selected in Hyundai’s discretion.
Each chosen Participant will have ten (10) calendar days to prepare, in English, without any monetary assistance from Hyundai, a full proposal packages (“Packages”). The goals of this package will be to clearly articulate:
(1) concept, technology and related intellectual property;
(2) business model;
(3) marketability of the new idea, including target customers and vertical markets;
(4) potential for financial profitability and success,;
(5) uniqueness of the idea in terms of applicability to vehicles and its customers;
(6) estimation of required resources and finance to develop the idea into working prototype, ready to be demonstrated to the public;
(7) estimation of time period required to develop the idea into working prototype, ready to be demonstrated to the public;
(8) Team’s ability to execute and succeed in its business goals (including information about Business Entity Participants);and
(9) any other information as deemed necessary by the Judging Panel.
Step 4: Interviews
After revising and evaluating the Packages, several participants will be invited to pitch their Packages to Judging Panel for up to five (5) minutes.
The Judging Panel will make their selections based on the content of the Entry using the judging criteria described in the “Judging Criteria” section below.
only one finalist will receive the Rewards and a chance to continue cooperation with Hyundai in the Pilot-Project as stipulated below. The Judging Panel reserves the right not to select a finalist or any Entry for the next round.
All decisions of the Judging Panels are final, non-appealable and binding.
The Participant agrees that the information, ideas and materials provided to Hyundai in connection with Step 2, and any other information, ideas or other materials otherwise provided to Hyundai in connection with Open Call, may be publicly disclosed by Hyundai or its agents, and used for Hyundai’s marketing and public relations activities, in Hyundai’s sole discretion.
Step 5: Pilot Project
Only one (1) finalist will be selected by the Judging Panel to advance to the step 5 (“Pilot Project”).
Pilot Project is dedicated to a final working prototype development in order to meet business agreements that the Participants and Hyundai agree prior to initiating the Pilot Project. Hyundai will be responsible for providing the development process with required resources such as experts and technology/product to develop and validate the idea into a working prototype and support on related expenses.
In case of the startup’s breach of these Terms and Conditions, the startup shall disgorge the rewards and any and all expenses or fees occurred to Hyundai, the Administrator, or the Partners in the course of administering, holding or organizing Open Call.
The finalist agrees that the information, ideas and materials provided to Hyundai in connection with the Pilot Project, and any other information, ideas or other materials otherwise provided to Hyundai in connection with Open Call, may be publicly disclosed by Hyundai or its agents, and used for Hyundai’s marketing and public relations activities, in Hyundai’s sole discretion.
For the steps of Submission, Initial Filtering, Selection of Ideas and the Pilot Project, the Judging Panel will make their selection based on the content of the Entries using the following criteria:
(1) customer value;
(2) market opportunity, including potential for growth;
(3) novelty, including perceived differentiation from competition;
(4) fit with Project IONIQ business strategy;
(5) capability to enter the market quickly; and
(6) likelihood of long-term success.
11. REPRESENTATIONS AND WARRANTIES:
By submitting an Entry, the Participant represents and warrants as follows:
(1) All registration information is complete, accurate and truthful.
(2) The Contact Person: (a) is an authorized representative of the start-up; (b) is submitting the Entry on behalf of the Team, as an organization; and (C) has obtained all necessary corporate and other approvals from the start-up business entity, as an organization, to enter Open Call and submit the company’s intellectual property, as contemplated under these Terms and Conditions.
(3) No other party is entitled to claim royalties from the use of the Entry.
(4) Each Entry does not and will not infringe or violate any rights of any third party or entity, including, without limitation Intellectual Property Rights (as defined below), defamation, privacy, publicity, false light, misappropriation, confidentiality, or any contractual or other rights.
(5) Your entire Entry is an original work by you, and you have all the rights, licenses, permissions and consents necessary to submit the Entry and to grant all of the rights that you have granted hereunder.
(6) Your Entry does not contain content that is inconsistent with the permissible uses outlined by these Terms and Conditions, including, but not limited to, content that is unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, libelous, invasive of another’s privacy, vulgar, profane, sexually explicit, obscene, racially or ethnically offensive or otherwise objectionable.
(7) You will not upload, post or otherwise transmit any Entry or content that contains software viruses, Trojan horses, worms, time bombs, cancelbots or any other computer code or files that are designed to disrupt, damage, or limit the functioning of any software or hardware.
(8) You are not submitting any confidential, proprietary, or trade secret information.
“Intellectual Property Rights” means any and all tangible and intangible: (i) copyrights and other rights associated with works of authorship throughout the world, including but not limited to copyrights, neighboring rights, moral rights, and mask works, and all derivative works thereof; (ii) trademark and trade name rights and similar rights; (iii) trade secret rights; (iv) patents, designs, algorithms, utility models, and other industrial property rights, and all improvements thereto; (v) all other intellectual and industrial property rights (of every kind and nature throughout the world and however designated) whether arising by operation of law, contract, license, or otherwise; (vi) all registrations, applications, renewals, extensions, continuations, divisions, or reissues thereof now or hereafter in force (including any rights in any of the foregoing) ; and (vii) any licenses, permissions and consents associated with (i) through (vi) above.
12. PERMISSIONS / RESTRICTIONS:
We are not claiming ownership rights to your Entry. However, by submitting an Entry, you understand, acknowledge and agree to the following:
The intent of Open Call is to encourage individuals and companies to discuss ideas and innovations with Hyundai. But participating in this Open Call does not create an obligation on either your part or Hyundai’s part to enter into any business relationship or to sign any commercial agreement. These Terms and Conditions shall not require you to negotiate or do business with Hyundai.
You remain free to discuss your Entry and the ideas or technologies that it contains with other parties, and to contract with other third parties regarding the subject matter of your Entry. However, once your Entry is selected for the Pilot Project, you shall not discuss your Entry and the ideas or technologies that it contains with other parties, or to contract with other third parties regarding the subject matter of your Entry.
You grant to Hyundai and its affiliates an irrevocable, royalty-free, worldwide right and license to:
(a) use, review, assess, test, evaluate, analyze or otherwise consider your Entry and all its content in connection with Open Call, and
(b) feature your Entry and all its content in connection with the marketing or promotion of Open Call, in all media now known or later developed. You understand that visitors to Hyundai’s websites and the Open Call Website will have the right to access information and content of your Entry.
Hyundai or its affiliates may have developed or commissioned (or may currently be in the process of developing or commissioning, or may in the future develop or commission), products, services or solutions similar (or even identical) to your Entry. Nothing in these Terms and Conditions shall prohibit Hyundai from independently acquiring, developing, or having developed for it, products, concepts, systems, services, or techniques that are similar to or compete with the products, concepts, systems or techniques contemplated by or embodied in any Entry.
You recognize that other persons or entities may have provided Hyundai or others, or made public, or may in the future submit, or make public, materials that are the same or similar to your Entry.
You acknowledge and agree that Hyundai shall have the right to use such same or similar materials, and that you will not be entitled to any compensation arising from Hyundai’s use of such materials.
You hereby waive all claims resulting from any similarities between your Entry and any current or future Hyundai product or solution.
Hyundai cannot control the information that the Participants will disclose to Project IONIQ representatives in the course of Open Call, or what Hyundai representatives will remember about your Entry. You understand that Hyundai will not restrict work assignments of any Hyundai employees, including those who have had access to your Entry. By entering Open Call, you understand and agree that use of information about your Entry in our representatives’ and employees’ unaided memories in the development or deployment of Hyundai products, services or solutions does not and will not create liability for Hyundai under these Terms and Conditions, or copyright or trade secret law.
You understand that you will not receive any compensation or credit for use of your Entry, other than as described in these Terms and Conditions.
You agree that nothing in these Terms and Conditions grants you a right or license to use the Hyundai name or any Hyundai trademark. You grant to Hyundai the right to include your company name (if you are a Business Entity Participant) as an Open Call Participant on Hyundai’s websites, including the Open Call Website, and in materials related to Project IONIQ’s promotion. Other than these uses, you are not granting Hyundai any rights to your trademarks.
No Entry will be received or held in confidence and under no circumstance will your Entry create a confidential relationship or obligation of secrecy between you and Hyundai or between you and any other party. The Participants should be guided by their own attorneys as to the desirability of seeking patents or other protection for the Entries, which guidance should be obtained before the submission of any Entry.
The Participant understands and agrees that Hyundai may, but is not required to, verify, audit or otherwise confirm the Participant’s identity, registration information, eligibility or other information relating to any Participant or Entry that may aid Hyundai in selecting Open Call finalist(s). The Participant hereby consents to such verification efforts and shall reasonably cooperate fully and in good faith with Hyundai throughout the duration of Open Call. Hyundai, in its sole and absolute discretion, may suspend, remove or otherwise eject any Participant suspected of providing false, misleading or other information that may fail to comply with these Terms and Conditions or any other Open Call rules or regulations.
How to Participate
Please send us email during the Open Call Period, accurately submitting description of your idea on
By submitting you confirm that you have read and accepted all Terms and Agreements
For additional useful information, please refer below
What is the Project IONIQ?열고닫기
The purpose of Project IONIQ is to realize freedom in mobility and create a future lifestyle, in which customers can travel without constraints, seamlessly continuing their daily lives while on the move free from the dangers of accidents or pollution. Project IONIQ will concentrate on discovering ways to leverage the developments in various technologies to make this vision a reality.
What is the Project IONIQ Open Call?열고닫기
1. Share and discuss their ideas and innovations with Hyundai,
2. Have a chance to pitch to Hyundai,
3. Have an opportunity to develop together with Hyundai and validate it into IONIQ models,
4. Demonstrate the result of this pilot project to the public with IONIQ cars.
Participating in this Open Call does not create an obligation on either your part or Hyundai’s part to enter into any business relationship or to sign any form of commercial agreement.
We are looking forward to hearing your ideas to see if we could develop a pilot-project together.
Do I have to be from automotive industry?열고닫기
Who can apply?열고닫기
• The most interesting results are coming from various industries.
• The Open Call is not open to residents of Cuba, Iran, Syria, North Korea, Myanmar (formerly Burma) and Sudan. The Open Call is void where prohibited or restricted by law.
What are the main benefits for participants?열고닫기
Does the Project IONIQ function as an accelerator?열고닫기
Our goal is to help you to validate your idea with IONIQ cars, and to communicate your efforts to bring Future Mobility to the market together with IONIQ ahead of time. This is why you should consider us as your first partner.
What is the “pilot-project”?열고닫기
Do you plan to buy our technology or do you invest?열고닫기
Who will evaluate ideas?열고닫기